I think of myself as well traveled, particularly within the United States, but I was reminded today that most of that has happened in western states. For this reason, to me the words "National Forest" mean a forest of evergreens. Here in Arkansas, it means a forest of deciduous trees, mostly hardwoods. During the winter months (and February still qualifies despite the amazing weather we've been having), a walk in the forest means a walk in the sunshine (when the weather is fabulous). The trees are too alive and interesting for me to think of them as skeletal (not that skeletons aren't interesting), but they are either bare or decorated with crispy brown leaves.
The birds! I saw many red-headed woodpeckers, a few blue jays (although they seem especially shy), and a noisy bird of prey I haven't been able to identify online. And the ones I didn't get such a good look at were singing, singing, singing. Maybe they know spring is on its way.
My new cellphone (the old one having taken a swim in the toilet in San Marcos) takes blurry photos, or I'm getting shakier of hand. But here are a few shots that give you the look and feel of the place.
This was the Lake Wedington hiking and mountain biking trail.
 |
| A few evergreens! |